When can children start using sensory bins?
What age can my child begin using sensory bins?
Children can begin using most sensory bins once they have stopped putting things in their mouths. Most sensory bins come with many small pieces which could be choking hazards for young children. With that said, children as young as 6 months can explore sensory play in ways that are developmentally appropriate and safe for them.
- add water to baking sheet and let child splash
- add water to baking sheet and bath toys for children to grab
- allow child to finger paint with taste safe paints
- use textured balls and describe the textures as the child is playing
- sensory bottles
- sensory mats
- colored ice cubes in a bowl
- edible play-doh
- rainbow spaghetti
- cheerio, puff, or cereal sensory bin with larger toys (once they are eating those items)
*best to stick with natural food dyes when making any activities that require food dyes